Friday, September 23, 2016

At the end of yesterday I said things would be a walk in the park, and with today off from work I should be able to make major progress.  I was making a joke.  However, I did have higher hopes for todays progress.  


My first task of the day was to remove the vent on the roof.  A simple task, so I thought.  The problem was that the screws were covered with some sort of waterproofing caulky substance.  The screws were stuck fast.  I had to chip away the junk to expose the screws.  Unfortunately many of the screws were rusted in place and the vent flange was bent around the screw head, which kept my nut driver from getting a solid grip.  Each screw needed to be loosened with the vice grips, then hand un-screwed.  And then, the screws on the back side required I perch precariously on the top step of the ladder while laying on top of Maizy without actually putting any of my weight on her.  This task, which I figured would take me 10 or 15 minutes, took over an hour.







Not only did I struggle with the screws, but the second step, removing all the weather stripping,involved my supervisor, Oliver, who was micro managing and causing everything to go slower:




I did, eventually get the vent removed and most of the weather stripping cleaned up.  The view through the hole was very green.  According to Peter it was because of the type of lighting I was using.  I think the picture looks very cool.  As you can see, Oliver decided to move to the kitchen counter.  Just about the only time you will EVER find a cat allowed on my counters.  gack.













Other tasks I managed to complete today included removing all the fasteners from the "drivers side" of the trailer, the rest of the windows, the running lights from the front, part of the interior bench, and most of the plumbing systems, including the fresh water holding tank.









Peter seems to be totally onboard and has been researching insulation and types of wood required for strength and weight.  I really, really appreciate his enthusiasm and participation.  But I noticed that his vision was more about restoring Miss Maizy to original design, while I envisioned something more along the lines of "glamping."

I have been hesitant to bring up this difference in our approach.  But today the opportunity presented itself and I shared my vision with him.  I had many ideas, shifting the orientation of the bed, adding end tables, moving electrical outlets, adding a composting toilet and.  (this was the big idea..) removing the kitchen counter and replacing it with a free standing dresser.  Crazy, I know!  And I'm not entirely sold on the idea but I think it would be really cute and provide plenty of storage to boot.  I was thinking of taking out the oven and just adding a cook top.  It's not like I'm going to bake cookies or roast a turkey or anything.  We don't really need an oven.    Here is a picture of the general idea - only I don't like this dresser, I don't like the color and I most certainly do not like the wall behind the ice box.  It does give the general idea though.

Peter was somewhat non-committal over this idea - but I think it will grow on him.  Or else.  hahahaha.


No comments:

Post a Comment