Thursday, September 22, 2016

New day, new plan


The nice thing about removing windows is that the gaping holes become the perfect way to jettison materials.  The first task on today's list was to remove the bunk bed.  An awkward piece of lumber to try to manuever in such a small space.  Fortunately - it fit right out the window.  I don't think the bunk bed will be returning to my tiny space.  Instead, I will put in a built-in cupboard or shelf.



While I was taking down the bunk bed and attempting to remove upper cabinets I found something that brought back a fond memory.  Remember - I used to take my kids camping in this delightful thing back in the 90's.  On one camping trip near Beacon rock (in the Columbia Gorge) I let the kids make jiffy pop while I sat out by the fire with a glass of wine.  I am sure this was a perfect example of bad parenting, being left unsupervised with open flames and all.  Bad parenting or not, I did it anyway.   Next thing I know, I heard screams of "FIRE!!" I dashed in to find the jiffy pop had caught fire and was threatening the curtains and cupboards.  I grabbed the popcorn and tossed it out on the ground and saved the day.  Not really that heroic.  Disaster was easily averted and there is a nice singe mark on the bottom of the cabinet.    Ahh... good times!   It's kinda sad that I am going to lose that reminder.  But not too sad.



While I slaved away at demolition I had company.  Oliver the studio cat has decided to be the foreman of this operation.  His attentiveness was quite thorough, when he wasn't napping.  I wonder if he was monitoring safety precautions?  



I removed the last of the skin from the door side of Miss Maizy.  This exposed more rot along the door frame.  The threshold blew off while we were bringing her home.  I am really surprised the door didn't blow off as well.  As we see how much rot she has and how flimsily she is built, Peter wonders that we got her home in one piece at all.  Despite my earlier hopes, I am getting more convinced that Miss Maizy is going to be a complete tear down.

This was a fun thing to find.  Wasps.  Dead wasps.  It could have been way worse - they could have been live wasps.

And this is where I leave her at the end of the day today.

Our original plan was to skin one side, rebuild the wall, replace the wall and then move to the next section.  It seems to be important to have flexible plans.  The floor will certainly need to be replaced.  If we replace the walls before the floor, we won't be able to get to the floor.

So.. the new revised plan of attack is something like this:


  • Skin the entire thing.
  • Brace the interior to keep her from collapsing.  (apparently the skin provides some structural integrity)
  • Remove the rest of the cupboards and interior elements.
  • Using the skin as a pattern re-build both walls.  Set aside.
  • Take out the walls.
  • Remove the things that won't fit out the door or windows (stove, icebox)
  • Replace the floor.
  • Put the new icebox and old stove (if it works) back in.
  • Put up the new walls
  • Address wiring and plumbing issues
  • Insulate
  • Re-apply skin
That doesn't sound too hard and I have all of tomorrow off.  It'll be a walk in the park!!

No comments:

Post a Comment