Thursday, September 29, 2016

Sawmill!

I had to work yesterday.  It was no fun.  It was, as I feared, a killer day.  Someone called in sick.  I had to do my job and then someone else's.  It made for a very long day.

When I got home you'll never believe what I discovered.  I found my beloved hand-milling some spruce (That's Dash in the foreground).  Also in the foreground is some of the siding from dear Miss Maizy.

Today, after a moderately hard day at work, I found Peter was just finishing the milling process and we now have this nice pile of spruce 1x2's, ready for wall building.


We are ready to move forward.  We headed to town to purchase our plywood for the walls.  Heading into town means going into the Bellingham, about 15 miles away.  We examined a dozen sheets of 1/4 inch fir plywood only to decide that the quality was less than desired.  Plans changed (remember I said being flexible here was key?) and we traipsed off to Windsor, intending to purchase that incredibly beautiful birch plywood for that incredibly fine price.  After 20 minutes of examining the birch plywood and Windsor's other offerings we ended up with deciding the fir from Home Depot was more than adequate - as the Windsor birch was less than 1/4 inch and Peter felt we really needed the full 1/4 inch.

As it turns out, we decided to wait to purchase the plywood until next week.  With work schedules as they are we won't have time to work on the wall until then anyway.  

No comments:

Post a Comment